Comprehensive car insurance – also known as fully comp cover – is one high level of protection you can get for your vehicle.
Comprehensive insurance is an optional insurance protection you add to your basic car policy that helps cover damage to your car that’s not the result of a collision.
WHAT IS COVERED BY COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE?
Comprehensive helps cover damage to your car that’s not the result of a collision, such as:
- Natural disasters (like earthquake or flood)
- Falling objects
- Damage done by animals
- A civil disturbance (like a riot)
At MotorMata, we help you obtain the Comprehensive car insurance policies cover from trusted insurance companies for damage to your car, as a result of an accident that you were or weren’t responsible for.
WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER HAVING COMPREHENSIVE COVER?
Auto insurance cover is one of the compulsory insurance you must have if you use a motor vehicle and ply public highways. However, with comprehensive car insurance, you can claim from your insurer for accidents that are deemed to be your fault.
It also applies when the person at fault can’t be verified, e.g if you parked to enter a bank and returned only to find your car already hit.
Accidents happen unplanned and can heavily weigh down on your finances.
Without comprehensive insurance cover, you risk having to carry the burden of the repairs yourself. And in a worse scenario, if your car is beyond saving and written off, you’ll have to pay for a brand-new one.
Our comprehensive car insurance covers automobiles for private use in Nigeria.
DOES AN OLD CAR NEED COMPREHENSIVE CAR INSURANCE?
Sometimes people think that an older car does not need coverage for comprehensive because they don’t think it will be stolen.
However, there are other potential risks that are covered by comprehensive insurance, including:
- windshield damage
- damage from weather events like hail.
These are very common causes of damage to cars that cost just as much to repair whether the car is new or old.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIRD-PARTY AND COMPREHENSIVE COVER
- Range of protection: This is the major difference. A comprehensive insurance provides multiple protection covers for you and your vehicle while third-party only protects against the claims of a third party but does not provide you any coverage against damages to your own vehicle.
- Value of the car: It is better to take third-party car insurance if the value of your car is low, since repairs to damages caused can be managed cost-efficiently. However, if the car is a new one and expensive, comprehensive cover is the better option.
- Expense: A comprehensive cover is more expensive than a third-party since it provides protection for a wide variety of loss/damage.